My wife came across some different cool ideas for kids’ summer parties and thought the Firefly theme would be fun. Since school’s out, she wanted to do something fun for the kids and parents from our Kindergartner’s class. So, she sent out some invites for a firefly party.
Firefly Party Basics
- Wear Pajamas – This was recommended both because it’s late and the kids were up until around 9:30-10 anyway, plus it protected them from mosquitoes (and ticks!) in the back yard.
- Firefly Collection – The kids all brought their own little bug houses or jars (my son is an avid bug-man so we had plenty to spare) and when my wife said “go”, they went around collecting as many fireflies as they could in the yard starting at around 8:45 or so. While the parents mingled, the kids collected. At the end of the night, they counted up fireflies and the top couple kids won a little prize. Of course, they all got some cheap silly bandz as well (the fad that won’t die).
- The Drinks – What fun is a party without some drinks for the parents right? Going with the theme, we had Firefly Vodka with sweet tea drinks…and beer for the guys.
- Side Gigs – I also busted out the fire pit with S’mores and had some balls and yard games out for the kids before they started while it was still light out.
- The Outcome – The party seemed to be a big hit. The kids loved it and didn’t want to leave. It was quite unique and nobody had ever heard of such a party before. We got to meet some of the parents and hang out a little, which was a nice departure from the usual classroom meetings or baseball games that don’t lend themselves to much social interaction (since I was a coach).
Any Neat Summer Party Ideas You Had This Year?